Thursday, July 23, 2009

CNN Presents "Black In America 2"





The only issue I had with this program while I was watching it last night was the trip to Africa. I applaud Chris Rock's wife Malak for trying to guide these young kids through a better path to success. However taking them to Africa and exposing to worst situations than theirs in America is not going to do the work. All it did is make them feel better about themselves he didn't inspired them to do better at school.

I was actually offended.

These young boys need a father figure in their lives, they need parents to care about their grades and attend all the PTAs meeting. As you may know I was born in Africa and it saddens me that what you only see about it is poverty, kids living in shacks or infected with HIV.

That is not the Africa I grew up in and I really wish you would see what I'm talking about.

The program got better when they focused their cameras on Principal Steve Perry, every school in urban areas needs a mentor like this man. Wherever parents fail he would be there to pick up the slack.

Don't miss part 2 of the report tonight at 8 PM on CNN.

No comments: