Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Father's Day



President Obama hosted a barbecue in honor of fathers out there that take care of their kids, which gives me the opportunity to talk about mine.

Fathers around the world have been so under-estimated and under-appreciated. We tend to give to our Mothers most of the credits when we turn out pretty good in life and blame absent Fathers when we fail.

I was fortunate enough to grow up with both my parents. Their education style balanced each other pretty well. Mom was the open and affectionate one and Dad was the disciplinary one, the voice, my brother and I call him "Le Boss". Pops has that look that he gives you when you've messed up after that you think twice about repeating it. He's also a man of a few words doesn't say much but when he does it hits you so right.

He's been a great inspiration to me and my siblings, we look up to him, we value his opinion and we strive to make him proud. Of course I've done my share of dumb mistakes (still doing them, it's part of the Life experience) but Dad has always been there to straighten me out and guide me through the right path. You need that Father figure while growing up, I'm thankful for all his support and advice in my life.

I wouldn't be the Man that I am today without him, he's a great example to follow.

So tomorrow on Father's day, give a call to your Pops, pay him a visit let him know how important he is in your life and please don't bring the same old lame gift... A tie! C'mon we can do better than that, Moms get jewelry and Dads get just a card.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments: